Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Suncheon's 국도극장

A little while ago I posted an entry about Suncheon's movie theaters, mostly to make it easier for me to find show times. I mentioned a few theaters that don't exist anymore, one of them being 국도극장, in Suncheon's "Old Downtown."



It's located next to the Lotteria, although if you look at this map from Naver, you'll see that the Lotteria is in the wrong place. The Lotteria, and the theater, are next to the 의료원, about 240 meters north, which is why I'm convinced the theater is actually one of the two dark masses you'll see appearing just east of "서인과" up there. Anyway, the one-screen theater is pretty small, and if you trust the crude measuring stick on Naver maps it's around 30 meters long. The theater and Lotteria are a few spots south of McDonald's, which you can see on the map here.

In front of the theater today is an empty, glass-fronted room that used to hold a "Crocodile" clothing store. There's an old-timey poster for the movie "만죽거리잔혹사," a poster that was not there when I first noticed the theater a few months ago.



You'll also see that general admission tickets at the time of the theater's closing cost 5,500 won. One of the few websites I found mentioning the theater was a Naver 지식 answer from January, 2004, so the was either still open or still thought to be open at that time. Running a very rudimentary search with my dumb-ass Korean ability, I see that 5,500 was the going rate in 2003 and 2004, so I guess the theater first closed around that time. The blog entry I just linked is from February, 2004, and it talks about seeing the movie "Ing," which came out in November, 2003, so I wonder if these smaller theaters showed movies that had past their first run. But, to piss on that theory, the movie in the poster, "만죽거리잔" came out in January, 2004.



Anyway, I'd been meaning to post a picture in the old entry I made, but the reason I bring it up today is because, as I had suspected, the theater will reopen. Well, if you trust my judgment and the authority of the lady working at the "로즈버드" across the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment