Tuesday, January 8, 2008

My name is tricky.

From a Korea Times article yesterday, emphasis mine:
And finally, I feel that it was unprofessional and in very poor taste to refer to Mr. Deutsche as ``Mr. Germany" (Mr. Deutschland). Mr. Lee, as a lawyer you are trained in the use of rhetoric and aware of the utility of flashy verbal showmanship against those who are ``emotionally motivated, ill informed, and who cannot logically arrive at conclusions.'' You are a representative of Korean foreign affairs and if indeed it is your goal to dispel the attitudes of Mr. Deutsche and like individuals, then using ad-hominem assaults to paint them as village idiots does not serve to further that goal.

You'd only use "Deutsche" if "German" is being used as an adjective in front of a feminine or plural noun (in certain cases). I guess the most common occurance is "Deutsche Bank"---it still grabs my attention when I hear this on TV---because "Bank" is feminine. I guess that's how he got confused, but if you're gonna publicly call somebody out for misspelling my name, please avoid making the same mistake in your letter to the newspaper.

LMFAO. It's turning into grade school all over again. If the next guy calls me Dutchy or Douche, I'm pulling out the bamboo sword.

No comments:

Post a Comment